Sunday, January 17, 2010

First trip to a science museum


Today River paid his first visit to a science museum and LOVED it. We were the first people to arrive when the museum opened at 12, so we initially had the place to ourselves.

In the preschool room, River got to put chocolate chunks into pretend cookies and count the pieces. He got to play with unusual shaped large soft blocks and he got to look at shells under a magnifying glass. He was thrilled to sit on a chair and to experience the backwards motion that happens when two people push their feet against each other. He saw what happens to liquid when it is spun rapidly, he saw how water erodes particles, he saw how a ball reacts to vacuum pressure and he got a close up look at starfish and crabs. He smiled so much in the hour and a half we were there. It was one novel experience after another and he was so enthusiastic, he threw a nice tantrum when it was time to leave.

My only regret is that I was reminded that my knowledge of the principles behind many of the exhibits is lacking. I hope I’ll have the chance to rebuild that knowledge as he goes to school or begins to explore and ask. I’ll appreciate the opportunity to learn this time and I’ll value the information more. I find myself very excited about his future education. Not only am I looking forward to him acquiring knowledge about what surrounds him, but I’m looking forward to learning along the way too.

1 comment:

Lainey Wright said...

This is one of the things we most look forward to also -getting to relearn geometry & biology & all the basics that have somehow been lost along the way!

On the other hand, there is something to be said for the mystery of gravity & clouds & how a tree grows from a tiny seed into something enormous. "Why do YOU think the ocean waves crash on the shore?" (maybe a giant is taking a bath & splashing the water?) Waldorf is very keen on letting kids live in that mysterious, magical world for as long as possible....there is plenty of time for figuring out the details.