Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A visit every four weeks?

What is up with the need to visit the ob/gyn every four weeks? I’m only 11-12 weeks along, had an 8 week appointment, had an ultrasound today in which I saw the fetus was alive and well, and I’m supposed to go see the doctor on Friday. I called the office to cancel my appointment and encountered resistance.

“You must be seen every 4 weeks,” I was told.

“There is really nothing for him to do,” I said. “Is there something special he is looking for?”

With great effort, I was able to push it back about 10 days. I tried to make it later that week and she said no. “That’s July,” she said.

“Why does that matter?”

“We last saw you in May and we must see you in June.”

I wondered if it was just this doctor’s practice, so I googled it and saw that others also recommend a visit every 4 weeks until the 28th week, then every two weeks.

We pay a significant co-pay under our current plan and I’m trying to control costs. I’m not interested in paying 10-20% in order to have the doctor feel how big my uterus is and take my blood pressure. I was overseas during my last pregnancy and I didn’t see a doctor every four weeks. I saw one only at the big appointments – the screenings, the 20 week ultrasound and then for my third trimester appointments. That worked just fine.

I really want to cancel this next appointment and just let the fetus do what it needs to do for another month. Unless there is a blood test that is critical to do now, I don’t see the point of medical care.

No comments: