Saturday, August 16, 2008

36 hours without baby - at home!

My husband has taken River to visit family for the weekend. This was planned in advance, to give me two days (or rather 36 hours) to myself, to allow me to get some work done. Yes, I did just have nine days alone in Iowa. But it was different there – busy with activities and pumping that really didn’t leave much time for relaxation.

I have a lot to do this weekend too, between household chores, cooking up the wonderful vegetables from our farm share and trying to get some work done. But it’s much more relaxing being alone at home.

They left just over an hour ago and the house already seems so very quiet. The bells ringing at the church across the street resonate sonorously. I heard the birds chirping outside, my fingers tapping the keys on my computer, a lawnmower in the distance. I have a to-do list, but it’s less urgent than usual. I don’t need to try to do five little tasks in the next ten minutes. I can lie out on the couch without fear of interruptions. While I still need to pump, it’s not so urgent since my milk supply has mostly returned to normal and I’ll be seeing River tomorrow. I can arrange my time as I please and that seems so luxurious.

No comments: