Saturday, February 5, 2011

My life has become a battle with thrush

It’s all out war now. I’ve had enough of this thrush, of the burning pain, of the bright red nipples, of the many supplements, medications and procedures aimed to kill it. I’m finally taking the last of the possible steps – which is cutting out (or at least drastically reducing) the sugars and white carbs in my diet, as well as yeast. I was hoping to not have to take this step. As a big eater and admitted sugarholic, this is killer for me, especially while breastfeeding. When I’m tired and stressed and not getting out much, sometimes all I want is some chocolate. But now I can’t.

If there are any thrush experts out there, would you please let me know if there is anything I’m missing in my attempts to get rid of this? Here is what I’m doing:

Baby:
-tried Nystation for a short time, then went on Diflucan for two weeks. Medicine is about gone now.

Mom:
-on Diflucan for about four weeks now
-taking Natren Healthy Trinity 3 times a day (two pills each time)
-taking 250g grapefruit seed extract three times a day
-applying liquid grapefruit seed extract to nipples
-wearing bras and shirts and using towels only once.
-rinsing clothing in vinegar during wash
-applying Dr. Jack Newman’s all purpose nipple ointment after each feeding. This contains Mupirocin 2% ointment (15 grams), Betamethasone 0.1% ointment (15 grams) and miconazole powder so that the final concentration is 2% miconazole
-taking one capsule of coconut oil per day and using coconut oil for any cooking (which isn’t much)
-each yogurt and grapefruit daily
-just recently, started avoiding white carbs and sweets.
-have been attending a weekly breastfeeding support group to get assistance.

No comments: