Friday, October 31, 2008

my favorite thing

My new favorite thing about being a mother is the sincere, enthusiastic smile and the shriek of happiness that comes from River when I come into his room to get him from his crib. Nobody else is this happy to see me with such regularity. Feeling wanted and loved and appreciated really fills the heart.

I know it won’t last. I imagine him slamming the door shut behind me and diving under his pillows during his teenage years. In the meantime, I can enjoy the smiles when I enter and the happy hugs when I pick him up – mommy to the rescue.

Just in case you are wondering why there are piles of stuff in River room – we live in a very old and small house that doesn’t have closets. So River’s room doubles as the nursery and the family closet.

No comments: