Saturday, March 7, 2009

Counting down the days

It’s been a rough week for me. I was depressed and homesick before anything bad happened. Then I had a run-in with the Russian police over visa issues and the desire to go home only multiplied. I looked into changing my flights, but it would cost $450, when the tickets themselves cost just over $1,000. As much as I’d love to be home, even a few days earlier, Mark didn’t think it was worth that expense. So I’m sitting here and waiting the time out, counting down the hours and the days, waiting for the moment when I’ll be back with my family.

Perhaps it’s a good thing to not run at the first sign of fear. I’m having some good experiences now and I will be able to leave with more balanced impressions.

At the same time, I’m learning I really don’t want to be away from my family for extended periods. Short trips away are fine, and probably good for everyone. If I’m going to take extended trips, I better have a good reason. And I should really chose destinations that are more enjoyable than a cold, barren place in winter. Sun, warm weather and good food would probably help a lot.

I’m also learning to appreciate my quotidian life. I can’t wait to get back to the unexciting, but pleasant tasks of organizing get-togethers for moms, organizing morning walks, doing my work in the afternoons and running errands with River on weekends. I am lucky to have the luxury of safety, freedom and financial independence within with to operate. I will value that more in the future.

No comments: