Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Study on epidurals in Saudi Arabia

I found this interesting – a study of epidurals vs. other pain medication for Saudi women during labor found no difference in the rate of c-sections. The epidural group had more use of vacuum and forceps deliveries, but the mother’s satisfaction rating was twice as high as those who had other pain medication and their pain levels were lower.

I went to a new ob practice yesterday. The doctor I met with said that in his opinion, there are three components to labor:
1. The mother’s health
2. The baby’s health
3. The quality of the experience

For me, the experience would be better with less pain. I’m hoping the second time around will be less painful. So far, the pregnancy is already substantially less painful than the first time around.

No comments: