Friday, September 10, 2010

Breaking the news

Today I told River that he’s going to be a big brother. I pointed to my belly, told him there was a baby inside, and that in three months, a little girl would come out. I asked if he wanted to be a big brother and to have a baby around and he smiled, then said yes. Other than that, he just said, Si, si, as though it was the most natural thing in the world to hear your mother has a baby in her belly.

I was planning to wait another few weeks. But River has been a bit clingy and anxious lately. Mark thinks it’s because of his fever. But I worry it’s because he senses changes on the horizon. I didn’t want to think he could be anxious because I’m withholding information from him. So I gave him the basics and will soon get some books we can read to him to discuss it in more detail.

Any suggestions of favorite books for soon-to-be big brothers/sisters?

No comments: