Monday, January 31, 2011

Back to school

Nothing quite makes me feel as old as walking into a classroom of 19-20-year-olds, arriving late because my post-partum legs don’t move at the same speed as they did a few months ago, worrying whether or not I have spit-up running down the back of my shirt, then realizing my shirt is unbuttoned just a little too far, because the last thing I did before leaving the house was to try to get some more milk into the baby so that she’d last two hours without me. Fun times.

That said, it’s fantastic to get out, to not have a cell phone, and no kids anywhere around. The class is not going to be difficult, but I think I can learn something. It’s great to just sit back and be able to listen.

All those fun classes I hoped to take – I missed them by 20 minutes. On the day I could register online to audit, River was participating in a study and we had researchers at our house. I wasn’t involved, but it distracted my attention enough that I forgot to go online when registration begin. By the time I remembered, 20 minutes later, the literature course I was excited about was full. As was a course on the history of medicine. And several other fun classes I had my eye on. Guess which class still had all of its auditing slots open and was no problem to get in? Yep, statistics.

I had thought I might take that in addition to a fun one. In the end, it’s the only course I could get into. I signed up for an online course on the current economic situation, so at least I have something not entirely work-related. And unlike last semester, when I risked losing several thousand dollars if I didn’t get a B, this time there is no pressure and no work. Nevertheless, I’d still rather have some pressure to get through Ulysses with the benefit of some explanation than read yet another statistics textbook. Oh well.

Good news is that the bouncy seat works. Yay! We’ve gotten her to sleep in it, and to chill for a good 15 minutes or so.

No comments: