Friday, January 7, 2011

frenulum cut, help sought

It’s done. The process was probably as painful for me as it was for her. But I’m really pleased with the doctor, who was kind and solicitous and I think the procedure was successful. It no longer feels like a suction cup on my breast when she latches on and her gums no longer feel like rows of teeth, or knives.

We’re still struggling with thrush, but one problem down, one to go, is pretty good.

Just before getting the frenulum cut, I attended a breastfeeding support group offered by our hospital. It was run by a fantastic lactation consultant, who my friend had recommended, and she offered me some very helpful tips. I’ve been very hesitant to pay for a lactation consultant. I think I’ve been too affected by arguments that breastfeeding is cheap and easy. I know that’s not true, but I still have trouble paying a consultant for something that is supposed to save money. Nevertheless, I now see the value of one-on-one assistance.

She showed me a new way to get Willow to latch on that is a bit less painful on the hurt side and she recommended an ointment for my nipples that is specially for women dealing with thrush and injured nipples. She also recommended the Kelly Mom and the Dr. Jack Newman sites for recommendations on how to deal with thrush. Hopefully I’ll find time soon to be able to read them in detail.

Thrush is evil and no fun to fight. I look forward to this being over. In the meantime, I’m grateful for the resources that provide advice and assistance and I’m glad that this time around, I’m not hesitating to make use of them.

No comments: