Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Time for another dip into the parenting books

I’ve taken a long (almost yearlong) hiatus from parenting books, with the exception of the What to Expect books and a quick flip through a sleep book. I was reading a lot of parenting books this time last year, during my third trimester.

At first it was encouraging to feel I could stock up on knowledge and I’d know what to do with this new being. Then it became tiresome to read so many authors so sure that whatever they recommended could apply to every child. And my brain needed another subject to occupy it. So I gave up the books for a while and found I was able to figure things out pretty well on my own (or at least, with the support of friends).

I think I’m ready for another dip though. I’m not looking for any particular answers, but want to see what’s out there. I’d like to see what ideas might be helpful for us. If I find anything good, I’ll post it here.

Have you read any parenting-related books that were worth the time spent on them? If so, please share.

2 comments:

Julie Feinstein said...

Have you heard of Mindful Parenting? My friend is starting a mom's group loosely based on this book, which is based on Buddhist philosophy, and which she raves about -- and since I'm joining the group, I will be reading it:

Mindful Parenting

worldmomma said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've put it on my to-read list.