Friday, October 8, 2010

The Caldecott honor books

I know some people pay attention to the Caldecott winners, sometimes even focusing on these books in building libraries for their children. I admit I haven’t paid much attention so far. Our library has a shelf where the librarians rubberband together piles of 5-6 books they say are guaranteed good reads for ages 3-6. Since I focus on providing River’s literary exposure to Spanish, and Mark doesn’t put much effort into the book selection process, I usually just grab these rubber-band piles and bring them home for Mark.

I imagine those piles include some Caldecott winners. But a recent article on the demise of picture books has made me want to expose River to the full array of award-winning picture books. And if there is a lot of demand for these books, perhaps it will help allow the publication of future winners.

I’m also a list nerd. So I plan to start working our way through this list. The downside is that since I don’t read to River in English, any books that don’t have a Spanish version will have to be read by Mark.

Does anyone know if there is anything similar available for picture books in Spanish?

No comments: