Monday, October 25, 2010

extended separation

I expected Mark and I would have separate sleeping quarters for a while after the birth. Last time, taking turns caring for the baby, while the other got half a night of quality rest, worked well for both of us. But I didn’t expect the separation to start several months before the birth. Mark is now permanently located on the couch and I have the luxury of a full queen-size bed to my gigantic self.

Thinking back to last time, I’m pretty sure we stayed in the same bed until the birth. But then, sleeping on my left side had me facing out from the bed. Now, sleeping on my left, has me facing in. With a Froogle in front me of me and another pillow behind me to prevent me from moving onto my back, I take up too much room. In this way I disturb Mark. His snoring, breathing and movements disturb me, taking away from what feel like precious moments of uninterrupted sleep. Then we both get awakened by the shrill old-fashioned alarm our tenants recently purchased, and which goes off at 6 a.m. on weekdays. So we’ve decided it works better for both of us to have some space to ourselves.

I feel I have a lot to look forward to in the spring. Not only the arrival of our daughter and the opportunity to see and get to know her, but a reduction in my girth, an easier time sleeping, at least between night-time wake-ups, and eventually, being able to share a bed
with my husband again.

No comments: