Monday, November 15, 2010

The why stage

Has begun.

Why does paper come out of the printer?

Why are you sitting in dad’s office chair?

Why are the cookies new?

Why are you wearing a purple shirt today?

Why is there paper on the street?

Why is my model car now on the shelf instead of the ottoman?

Why don’t we have spider lights on our window any more?

Why did the object fall? Why, mama, why?


My answer is usually met with several more whys, without an end. Yet the questions are asked with such sincerity, I feel obligated to do my best to answer.

I imagine this is challenging for any parent, testing the limits of their knowledge. But the fact that I’m asked, and must answer, these questions in Spanish makes it doubly difficult for me.

I think I need to start carrying around my Spanish dictionary. And perhaps Mark’s wikireader.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Oh boy. We're not quite there yet, but I am NOT looking forward to it!