Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hearing my echo

It’s hard to believe that one year ago, River was not speaking much at all. We are now truly at the stage of two way communication, and it’s so pleasant.

One of the best surprises has been the word “Si,” (yes). We heard only no for so very long. He wasn’t entirely oppositional, but if we suggested something he liked, instead of Si he would say “Okay.”

“Do you want water?”

“OK water!”

Now that si has appeared, it rings beautiful and clear in my ear, full of happiness and agreement and unity.

Today I asked him if he wanted to play with the marble toy. “Si, si mi amor,” he said (yes, yes my love). I had to refrain from laughing as it was just like listening to myself. The si was new as was the “mi amor,” which I say to him all the time.

It just reminds me how much we do serve as models for him. And I was pleasantly surprised to hear my echo in such a positive light. I suppose kids who are frequently yelled at and put down reach a point at which they begin to repeat that back. His echo is happiness and light. It makes me proud and grateful.

No comments: